Shared folders and inotify: Does it work with VMWare + Any way to run Vagrant + VMWare in trial period?
Michal Szczesny
2014-01-16 18:21:46 UTC
Hi Everyone,

I've been a vagrant user for a while now, but I only used it with the
default Virtualbox provider.

One key issue I'm really frustrated with is that the file changes I make on
the host, that are synced to the VM as expected - do not trigger
appropriate events on the guest, which means I cannot run any inotify based
watchers on the guest. I have found no way to make inotifywait on the host
work yet.

In few places I read that this is Virtualbox's fault and I was wondering if
this issue is resolved with VMWare as the provider. However - I tried to
"see" for myself - downloaded the trial version of VMWare and there's no
way for me to run it with vagrant without an actual licence. Before I spend
some $£€ on a licence - I'd like to know if this particular feature works
with VMW.

I hope one of you awesome people has an answer to one of the below
questions:
- Can one successfully run an inotify based shared folder file watcher on
an Ubuntu guest with a VMWare backend?
- Is there any way to run Vagrant with VMWare that is in trial? I keep
getting *"A valid license is required to run the Vagrant VMware provider"* -
if I could make this work I could at least see it for myself

Best,
Michal
Mitchell Hashimoto